From our earliest batches of Bluegill Bait, Brad and I have always had one thing in the back of our minds, "We have to make a bloody mary recipe to pair with Bluegill Bait... and it definitely needs to be green!"
We are excited to bring to you Freshwater Mary. A green mary recipe that features roasted tomatillos while borrowing a few ingredients from our beloved Bluegill Bait. I enjoy my Freshwater Mary with vodka from one of my favorite local Minnesota distilleries, but this delicious drink can be enjoyed by all without alcohol.
Give it a try! Put your own flair on it! Let us know how you like your Freshwater Mary.
- Freshwater Mary Mix
- Bluegill Bait Hot Sauce
- (Optional) Rancho Gordo Stardust Dipping Powder
- (Optional) 1-2 oz of your favorite Minnesota vodka
- Coat the rim of a pint glass with chili lime powder (Such as Rancho Gordo Stardust Dipping Powder)
- Combine Freshwater Mary Mix, ice, and vodka.
- Add Bluegill Bait Hot Sauce to taste.
- Garnish, stir, and enjoy!
- 1 1/2 c Water
- 5-6 Medium (20 oz) tomatillos
- 1 Meduim cucumber
- 1 Jalapeño pepper
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Handful baby spinach
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 Lime
- 1/8-1/4 c Bluegill Bait Hot Sauce
- Horizontally halve husked tomatillos.
- Lightly brush tomatillos with olive oil.
- Broil tomatillos until browned. (5-8 minutes)
- Remove skin from cucumber, roughly chop.
- Roughly chop jalapeño.
- Roughly chop serrano.
- Peel clove of garlic.
- Roughly chop roma tomatoes.
- Halve lime. Reserve half for garnish.
- In a blender combine until smooth: water, roasted tomatillos, cucumber, jalapeño, serrano, garlic, spinach, tomatoes, Bluegill Bait Hot Sauce, zest 1/2 lime, juice 1/2 lime.
- Strain blended ingredients through a fine mesh strainer. (If desired, reserve pulp, season with salt, and enjoy with tortilla chips.)
- Chill strained Freshwater Mary Mix
- Serrano pepper
- Rancho Gordo Stardust Dipping Powder
- Slice avocado. Coat with Rancho Gordo Stardust Dipping Powder
- Skewer celery stalk, avocado, cilantro, and whole serrano.
- Fry Bacon
- Slice Lime round.